This weekend I decided to make Pumpkin Spice Cake.
|Pumpkin Spice Cake with powdered sugar and fresh whipped cream on top|
I have never liked pumpkin pie, even though back home in Texas, it is very popular. So instead, around Thanksgiving time, I make Pumpkin Spice Cake. The recipe calls for half a can of pumpkin puree, which makes the cake very moist, and it has a similar flavor to pumpkin pie but tastes sooo much better. :o) If you live in Denmark, you can find pumpkin puree at Meny and Kvickly in the British/American section. The recipe is pretty simple, and makes a large cake. I used a rectangular cake pan, but you could also use two round cake pans.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup fresh or canned pumpkin
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- First, set your oven to 176C or 350F, and butter and flour cake pan(s).
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy with an electric mixer.
- Then, add eggs, one at a time, and mix well.
- Next, add the pumpkin puree and vanilla, and beat until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices.
- Then, add the flour mixture and buttermilk, alternately to the pumpkin batter. In three additions, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Next, if using two round cake pans, divide the batter, and pour into each cake pan. If using a rectangular pan then pour all of the batter in that pan.
- Bake cake(s) for 25 - 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Once cooled, dust the cake with powdered sugar or top with your favorite frosting. This recipe recommends using a cream cheese frosting, but I didn't use any.
I baked my cake for 35 minutes at 190C, but I think my oven is a bit off. So just use your own judgement, and check your cake at 20-25 minutes. :o)