This bread recipe is similar to the Parmesan Oregano Bread at Subway, a sandwich chain from the U.S.. It is so delicious and great for sandwiches, tapas, or simply just sliced on the side of a meal. It is really flavorful, crunchy on top, and soft on the inside. I usually just make one baguette or two small breads, but if you have a large family or simply just want two loaves of bread, then make sure to double this recipe. If you want to see a video on how I make it check it out here, otherwise the recipe is below. Hope you enjoy it!
- 2 1/4 tsp. dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Place the yeast, honey, and warm water in a large bowl. Cover and let it stand for 5 - 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the salt and flour together. Then mix the flour into the yeast mixture, a little at a time, until it forms a dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead it for 5 - 7 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, and turn once to coat.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let it rise for 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Gently punch down the dough, and shape it. You can shape it into one baguette or two small round breads, if you decided to follow this recipe exactly.
- Then, in a small bowl, combine the parmesan, oregano, and garlic powder together. Then, mix in the olive oil.
- Next, rub a little olive oil on top of the bread, and rub on the parmesan mixture.
- Let the dough rest for an additional 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C/425F.
- Finally, in a preheated oven bake the bread for around 25 minutes.
If you double the recipe, you don't need to double the yeast amount.