These cookies are a favorite of mine. They are buttery, slightly sweet, and with jam in the middle. I think they are called different names across the globe but I know them as Linzer cookies, and they are thought to have originated from Austria. I made a video on how I make these cookies, and the recipe is below the video. Hope you enjoy them! 🙂
- 250g flour
- 200g butter, cut into small cubes
- 100g powedered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 egg yolks
- Preheat the oven to 170C/325F
- Place the flour, butter, icing sugar and salt into a bowl. Using your fingertips, rub the ingredients together until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolks and mix until a dough forms. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and roll out to a thickness of about 0.5cm. Cut out shapes using a 4cm/1½in cutter.
- Cut out the middle of half the cookies.
- Place the cookies on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and bake them for 10 - 12 minutes.
- After the cookies have cooled, place a small dollop of jam or spread jam on the whole bottom half of a cookie.
- Then, place the top half of the cookie onto the bottom half spread with jam.
- Repeat until all the cookies are complete.
Note: The original recipe can be found here.