This pie is really refreshing, and pretty easy to make. I asked my boyfriend what dessert he wanted me to make him for his birthday, and he chose key lime pie. This recipe is always a big hit with my family.
I usually make it with regular limes but you can use key limes, if you want. To me, it is a bit too sour or strong in flavor with key limes. In Denmark you can’t find graham crackers, so I use digestive biscuits instead which works really well. You can also make some freshly whipped cream to put on top. Hope you like this recipe. :o)
- 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs crackers or digestive biscuits
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (70g)
- 1 (14-ounce/397g) can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lime or bottled Key lime juice
- 3 pasteurized egg whites (90 grams)
- 175g sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C)
- Stir together graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter in a bowl with a fork until combined well, then press mixture evenly onto bottom and up side of a 9-inch (4-cup) pie plate.
- Bake crust in middle of oven for 10 minutes and cool in pie plate on a rack. Leave oven on.
- Whisk together condensed milk and yolks in a bowl until combined well. Add juice and whisk until combined well (mixture will thicken slightly).
- Pour filling into crust and bake in middle of oven for 15 minutes.
- Cool pie completely on rack (filling will set as it cools), then chill, covered, for at least 8 hours.
- If adding meringue on top, you need to make it while the pie is cooking. Using an electric whisk, mix the egg whites on a low speed until stiff.
- Turn up the speed gradually, then add the sugar, 1tbsp at a time – mix well between each spoonful.
- Spoon over the middle of the pie (once it has been removed from the oven) and using a spoon or a fork make soft peaks.
- Place the pie back in the oven with meringue on top under a medium grill for 1 - 3 mins or until browned. Watch it carefully so the sides don't burn.
- Remove the pie from the oven, and let it cool completely for 2 hours. Then place in the fridge.