French Toast is commonly served as a breakfast food in the United States, and is a dish made in other countries as well. I think the more common way to eat french toast in the U.S. is with powdered sugar and honey on top, but my mom always made it with cinnamon & sugar as the topping, so that is the recipe I am sharing today. 🙂
French Toast is basically a slice of bread, dipped in egg, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon, fried in a pan, with sprinkled cinnamon & sugar on top. It is actually very easy to make, and can be made with whatever bread you think might be good. I got a little bit fancy here and made it with leftover homemade cinnamon swirl bread. Sounds like a cinnamon overload, but it really wasn’t. 🙂
The recipe is below. It makes 3 servings, but if you have a large family, you can easily double or triple the recipe. As far as the cinnamon & sugar topping, just sprinkle the amount you want on top of the bread, you don’t have to use the entire amount for three slices of bread. I usually just have some already mixed up on hand.
If you want to see a video on how I make French Toast, click here! 🙂
Let me know in the comments, how do you like to eat French Toast? 🙂
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- butter for cooking
- Cinnamon & Sugar Mixture
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Mix together egg, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon in a shallow bowl.
- Dip bread in egg mixture (5 seconds each side), and place in a preheated frying pan set at a medium heat setting.
- Cook 2 - 3 minutes per side or until toasted.
- Continue until all the bread has been cooked.
- Then, lay the bread on a flat clean surface or on plates to be served, and sprinkle on the cinnamon & sugar topping.